Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Inadvertent Gardening

Hello all. I am one of the more northerly Menotomy Gardeners, struggling to grow tomatoes on a shady hillside in Lexington. In earlier times, I watched pumpkins meander through yards in Somerville and Arlington before moving about a half-zone away.

I've always been a bit lax about weeding- some would say downright lazy - partly because I am, well, lazy, and partly because I'm intrigued by seedlings. If I can't tell right off that something is asiatic bittersweet or poison ivy, I like to let it grow a bit, to see how it develops as it grows. Sometimes, I end up with a yard full of 4-foot-tall beggar's tick, but sometimes I am rewarded for my sloth.

Today, I noticed the enormous lady's thumb knotweed that I had let go earlier in the season down at the bottom of the driveway has lovely nodding strings of tiny pale pink flowers that beautifully complement the deep pink flowers on my squat round-leaved Autumn Joy sedums, which were planted on purpose, really. Thirsty monarch butterflies have been flitting around my unidentifiable goldenrod, tall and lovely with spark-bright bursts of yellow buds at their tips.

My watery September tomatoes are green, my New England asters are covered with runty brown leaves, and the blackberries are insinuating themselves between the deck rails - but I am watching butterflies, and I am content.

meg

1 comment:

Jane in Vermont said...

Meg, my mother's philosophy about unidentifiable plants in the garden was a cheerful, "Leave it alone and see what it does." Not lazy, but curious, and unwilling to discard something just because it may have gotten there on its own, or with the help of a bird.